Tuesday, October 22, Regina | Thursday, October 24, Saskatoon
City Planner (Hamilton)
Jason Thorne is a professional planner who leads the Planning and Economic Development Department at the City of Hamilton, Canada. He has worked on large regional planning initiatives like the Growth Plan and Metrolinx’s Big Move, on municipal scale land use and sustainability plans, as well as on rural development plans in West Africa and squatter housing upgrades in South America.
He oversees a team of 800 staff members, working across multiple portfolios including planning, building, development engineering, transportation planning, parking, arts, culture, and economic development. Best known historically as Canada’s industrial powerhouse, Jason and his team have helped to guide an urban renaissance in Hamilton that has gained national and international attention.
City Planner Jason Thorne’s experience:
- General Manager Planning and Economic Development, City of Hamilton
- Lead author on the Big Move, a regional transportation plan for the GTHA with Metrolinx
- Places to Grow Initiative and Growth Plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe, Ontario Growth Secretariat
- Planning consultant for communities across Canada and in Africa and Latin America, planningAlliance
- Executive Director and Land Stewardship Coordinator with Coalition on the Niagara Escarpment, Toronto Bay Initiative and Bruce Trail Association
“Especially in a mid-sized city, you need to bring together a whole bunch of different parts if you’re going to do really effective city-building.”
12 pm, Tuesday, October 22
Rebellion Brewing Co.
1901 Dewdney Ave, Regina, SK.
Tickets $20, available on Eventbrite. Space is limited.
7 pm, Thursday, October 24
Capitol Music Club, 244 1st Ave N